Under Construction!


Have you ever come across this sign, “UNDER CONSTRUCTION”? It is a sign used to alert people to the fact that the process of construction is taking place. We usually come across this sign whenever we see an unfinished project, whether it be a house, a road, a website, etc. This sign usually produces a certain anticipation of things to come…that this unfinished project is something worth waiting for. A few years back when I fully gave my life to Christ, I remember wanting to be perfect. I erroneously thought that the moment one surrenders their lives to Christ, perfection ensues. I had put this pressure on myself to be perfect, so much so that whenever I did sin, I became extremely despondent. I would run away from God because of shame and condemnation. “How could I, perfect Ndidi, make such a mistake?” I would often find myself asking. I wasn’t a very happy Christian…until I learned this truth: I am not perfect…yet!

As Christians, the struggle for perfection is something we deal with daily. We want to align ourselves with the new nature God has imparted within us through Jesus Christ, but as the Apostle Paul writes, “…for the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice.” (Romans 7:19, NKJV). The truth is that as long as we are in this “body of death” as the Apostle Paul puts it (Romans 7:24), there will be a constant battle between our sin nature, and the new nature we have in Jesus Christ. Yes, we are to be driven by excellence in our relationship with Christ, but there should be a balance between excellence in Christ and contentment in Christ. Again, the Apostle Paul writes, “…I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press on towards the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 3:13-14 NKJV).

In living this life as a Christian, you and I are going to stumble from time to time. Now, this is not an endorsement to sin. Yes, we will stumble, but as you continually abide in Christ, these stumbling moments should come few and far between. What I am getting at is that we are all under construction. God is still doing a work in us…“being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ” (Philippians 1:6 NKJV). Just as the precious metal, gold, undergoes continual purification to become usable, we go through continual purification by the power of The Holy Spirit. He will change you from the inside out…that is, if you are willing.

But, we are called to be like Jesus, right? We are called to be holy, right? (1 Peter 1:16). How can we achieve this? Not in our own strength, that’s for sure. Yeah, I tried that and like I said, that didn’t work. Abiding in Christ is the only way we can ever dream of becoming perfect. We cannot attain to such heights of perfection without the power of the Holy Spirit working in us. The Apostle Paul realized this when he exclaimed, “O wretched man that I am! Who can deliver me from this body of death? I thank God—-through Christ Jesus, our Lord!”. (Romans 7:24-25a, NKJV)

As Christians, we are all works in progress, but we are God’s “workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.” (Ephesians 2:10, NKJV, emphasis mine). My encouragement to you is that you don’t walk in condemnation because of a stumble here and there (Rom 8:1-2), but when you do stumble, run TO God instead of away from God. Take the pressure off yourself and others to be perfect and enjoy your relationship with Christ, knowing that though you are still under construction, you can become that masterpiece God created you to be, one useful in the Kingdom of God. NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are We There Yet? Part 1

PICK UP YOUR WEAPON…AND NEVER GIVE UP!

HE KNOWS WHERE YOU ARE