It's The Little Things...

"...Ask the Lord for rain in the time of the latter rain. The Lord will make flashing clouds; He will give them showers of rain, Grass in the field for everyone." (Zechariah 10:1)

Something great happened to me one day while in the middle of a great morning run. Now, it may seem a bit mundane to you, almost coincidental, but I assure you, it wasn’t. At that time, I was training for a half-marathon, and as I was running, it began to sprinkle a bit. Now, I wasn’t very surprised at this because I had read the forecast the day before and there was about a sixty percent chance it was going to rain on this said day. So, I ran, and a light drizzle began. And I prayed a silent prayer. I asked God to hold the rain till I was finished running. Now that may seem a bit narcissist, but there’s no harm in asking, right? And besides, I am a child of The Most High God and so…I asked. Besides, isn’t that what the word encourages us to do? “Ask, and it will be given to you…for everyone who asks receives…” (Matthew 7:7-8). I did just that…and He granted my request. It stopped raining, but deciding it was wise to stop while I was ahead, I cut my 8-mile run down to a 4-mile and went back to my house. As I was about to take my running shoes off, I realized that I did want to finish what I had started…I wanted to run the full 8-miles I had set out to do, and again I spoke to God about this. Then I realized something else…it hadn’t begun to rain yet. It was almost as though God was still holding back the rain for me to keep running (isn’t that what I asked for to begin with?). So, with full assurance, I headed back out and completed my 8-mile run. About five minutes after I finished my run, it began to rain…full blown. God had certainly answered my “little” prayer in a mighty way.

Now…this may not seem like a lot to you. In fact, you could be saying, “why, that’s simply a coincidence!”  That’s not the way I choose to look at it though. I believe that there are no coincidences as it relates to a child of the most High God. I understand you may be facing some really serious issues right now and believing God to a big miracle, so my little request seems a bit trivial to you, but God cares as much for the little things in our lives as well as the big. He cares about every detail of your life, including the ones you think are trivial. He longs to perfect everything that concerns you [Psalm 138:8].

Don’t become so focused on the big miracle you need, on the seemingly insurmountable mountain that seems to be blocking the way to your destiny; choose to see the seemingly coincidental and mundane events in your life as God working behind the scenes in your life. It’s the little things that expose God’s love for us in a deep way. Don’t get so focused on the seeming big mountain in front of you, that you lose sight of the “little” doors of opportunities God brings your way. The little things matter as well, saint…don’t forget that.

Remember, God is as much interested in the little things as well as the big things in your life. Invite Him to your everyday existence as is instructed in the word of God, “…in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path.” (Proverbs 3:6)  Yes, He is everywhere, and He is aware of everything that concerns you, but He seeks an invitation from you. Invite Him in (Revelations 3:20), and allow Him to surprise you with His goodness, little as they may seem. Little things can definitely give way to big things in your life.

Become bold in your faith like the Apostle Peter was when he asked to do something no one had done (and will ever do) before. After seeing Jesus walking on water, he boldly asked, “Wow Lord, can I do that to?” to which Jesus answers, “Sure…come join me” [Matthew 14:28-32, my paraphrase]. Now that’s what I call boldness! He did doubt after a while, but the fact remains: he asked. No other disciple asked…he was the only one that had faith enough to believe that he could actually do the same thing he saw his Savior doing. And you can do the same, with God’s grace (Philippians 4:13). It doesn’t matter how big or small the issue is, God can (and is willing) to perfect that which concerns you. Nothing is a trivial matter to God as it relates to His children, you and me. So, keep asking, keep seeking, keep knocking, and watch God do amazing things in your life. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are We There Yet? Part 1

HE KNOWS WHERE YOU ARE

PICK UP YOUR WEAPON…AND NEVER GIVE UP!