Back to Normal

 ““Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.” Matthew‬ ‭11:28-30‬ ‭MSG‬‬

The other day while driving, I was consumed with many anxious thoughts…you ever have that happen? You’re thinking of one problem that needs solving, and somehow before long, all the other problems pile up, one on top of another and before long, you’re consumed by anxiety. Anyways, as that was happening, I saw the letters “NSR” - the license plate of the car ahead of me had those letters. Immediately I saw that, the scripture reference above popped into my minds eye - “unforced rhythms of grace…”. What does NSR mean, you may be wondering. Well, NSR to me (and other people in the world of Cardiology) means “Normal Sinus Rhythm”. I don’t want to bore you with the details, but please indulge me for a few while I explain the concept of rhythms from a cardiology standpoint. 

So within the heart, we have an electrical system that enables the heart muscles to contract (pump) and help distribute blood to vital organs and throughout the body. In a normal heart, there is node that enables the electrical current move through the heart and cause the heart to beat normally and in sync - this is called the sinus node, which produces Normal Sinus Rhythm (NSR). If this electrical system is interrupted, either by disease or physical issues, the system looses its syncing and becomes abnormal, producing what we call Cardiac arrhythmias. Theses rhythms can develop into lethal rhythms and cause death if no intervention is available. 

Oftentimes, in our relationship with Christ, the interruptions, distractions and everything else gets us into a pace that is not in line with Christ. We become tired, weary, burned out, the cares of this world choke the word of God (Mark 4:19). We forget to cast the cares down and lay them at His feet (1 Peter 5:7). We begin to do things on our own, sometimes making the erroneous statement, “God helps those who help themselves”. That’s not even biblical! 

God is calling us back to sinus rhythm - a pace that is in perfect sync with Him. He is calling us to learn the “unforced rhythms of grace”. In this unforced rhythm, there is trust, there is dependence on Him, there is peace - the peace that only He can give. It is normal to trust Him. It is normal to depend on Him. Apart from Him we can do nothing (John 15:5). It is normal to surrender the weight of the world we are carrying to Him. It is normal to believe Him. It’s abnormal to do the opposite. 

So, are you anxious today? Feeling worn out by the pressures of life? I encourage you today to fix your eyes on Him! Learn this unforced rhythm of grace, and be in sync with Him! Go back to normal sinus rhythm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are We There Yet? Part 1

HE KNOWS WHERE YOU ARE

PICK UP YOUR WEAPON…AND NEVER GIVE UP!