TITHING: What’s The Big Deal?

My understanding of scripture has lead me to the understanding that tithing is not a requirement in the new covenant. It’s a great guide but not a requirement. I do choose to “tithe”, cos giving is certainly a requirement for believers and it helps me make sure I’m giving something. When I say requirement I’m referring to giving as a response to what we have already received. Some people do 10% (which I believe helps get one into the habit of giving), and some give 90% and live off of 10%. What is in our hearts? The principle of giving as Paul delineates in 2 Corinthians is a pricinple that cannot be denied. But the rule of tithing has sometimes been abused in the New Covenant church. We have to be careful we don’t get dogmatic about this. Tithing on the gross? Tithing on the net? It doesn’t matter. Give what you purpose in your heart, give what you’re convicted to give, give willingly, for God Loves a cheerful giver. It might be 10% or it could be much more than that.


The word “tithe” limits our giving I believe. 10% is nothing...it’s just the beginning of what I believe God has called us to as givers. To me, that’s part of The Law, which in an of itself is not a bad thing. But it puts us in bondage “if I don’t give, I will not be blessed” is the thought that often comes with tithing. But aren’t we already blessed? Isn’t Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross enough? We are blessed, and thus we respond from that, and not the other way round. 

Jesus came to fulfill the law, to show us that it’s more than just commandments. For example, the Ten Commandments teach us “Do not commit adultery”, but Jesus said “if we lust in our hearts, we have already committed adultery”. It’s about our hearts...not the rule. It’s always been about out hearts. I see tithing that way. Paul never exhorted the Corinthians to tithe, but to give, with a cheerful heart, what God places in your heart to give. And what He leads us to give could more than likely be much more than 10%. We need to allow Him to lead. Trust that Holy Spirit is able to guide us in this area, as well as other areas. The tithe is a guide to something much more powerful! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are We There Yet? Part 1

PICK UP YOUR WEAPON…AND NEVER GIVE UP!

The Voltron Effect